Friday, April 25, 2008

Out of the Mouth of Babes

The day was coming to a crescendoing close, as it sometimes does. Summer and I were expending every effort to get the kids ready for bed and into the loft for the day's closing ceremonies -- because by golly, we were going to have a spiritual scripture study and prayer. At some point, Cody (our dog) got in my way, and any control I had at that point slipped from my fingers. I raised my voice at Cody and carted him downstairs and out the back door. As I was rushing Cody downstairs, I heard Daniel say "I think dad lost his temperature." When I came back up, we read from the scriptures and had a family prayer. After the prayer, Daniel quietly approached me and said in a personal tone, "Dad, when you have a sec, let's talk in the guest bedroom." I though maybe he wanted to tell me about a problem at school or how he really wanted a toy bow and arrow. After I tucked in the others, I went to the guest room and found him patiently sitting on the bed. I sat down next to him, he looked up at me with his big blue eyes and said, "Dad, when you talked angry at Cody, I had a cold feeling. I don't think you should have talked like that to him." I was totally floored. All I could say was "You're right -- sometimes I have a problem with my anger." Daniel moved closer to me, put his arms around me and said "It's ok. I know you can do better. I love you." My heart melted and I just thought "out of the mouth of babes."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this is a very sweet story, I'm glad you have this recorded. Thanks for sharing...shaleen

Melissa Huber said...

Adam, I love this story and I tell it as often as I can. I think he is so funny and very perceptive-I can imagine where you got a temperature like that...